Sunday, July 27, 2014

A List of Things I Will Not Miss About My CF Lungs


  • treatments, treatments, treatments! vest and hypertonic saline, pulmozyme and inhaled antibiotics (there is a chance I may need inhaled abx especially at first, but hopefully not forever)
  • being able to sleep through the night uninterrupted, being able to FALL asleep uninterrupted, having Todd's snoring be the loudest thing in the bedroom
  • not coughing in public, not being looked at like a sick person, not holding back coughing, scarfing down my "coughing pills" before social events, not pretending to talk normally while I really am trying my hardest not to cough
  • washing nebs! oh my god, one of my least favorite tasks. hopefully no more ever!
  • not worrying about incontinence when I cough too hard
  • hemoptysis, coughing up blood - enough said
  • emptying the nasty disgusting trash can that sits next to where I do my airway clearance
  • hauling around oxygen, driving around with oxygen - it wouldn't be so bad if you could hook up straight into your car!
  • the stares from being on oxygen
  • the sensation of drowning if I swim with my face in the water for too long
  • emptying the kitty litter box! (ok, this has to do with immunosuppression not new lungs, per se, but I'm still excited about it.)
  • having my chest feel like total crap when I wake up in the morning before I've done my airway clearance...I just want to wake up, grab some coffee and sit out on the porch for a while
  • the humungous pain in the ass that comes with arranging travel with oxygen - be it driving or flying, each presents its own set of obstacles, and it all adds up to a lot of inconvenience and expense
  • coughing all the way through yoga class; having to put all my energy during relaxation into not coughing so I won't disturb other people (and still usually disturbing them)
  • constantly having to clear my throat before I talk
That's a start anyway! I'm sure I will think of more as soon as I post this.

No comments:

Post a Comment