Saturday, May 14, 2011

Raleigh - Holden - Raleigh

Doc and Sam laid out in the back of the Subaru coming home from Holden Beach (they were nice enough to share part of the back seat with me, too)

Me: went to the doctor on Monday about my leg pain - she prescribed me muscle relaxers, sent me to a really great chiropractor, and referred me for PT. I am glad because I finally feel like I am on a path to fixing this problem so that it won't keep cropping up. But I am also frustrated because I have been exercising a lot and the chiropractor told me to lay off exercising (and yoga!) for a week or two. Patience is not my best quality.

When I last wrote, I thought that the virus I caught weeks ago had settled into my sinuses. I decided to call my doctor and start on an antibiotic sinus rinse, which has worked wonders before. This turned into a week-long battle between the nurses at my doctor's office, my regular pharmacy, the compounding pharmacy that I newly elected, and my insurance company. When it was all said and done, I paid a mere $15 for the prescription and - this is the kicker - my sinus infection had basically cleared up on its own. As of now, my lungs and sinuses are feeling almost back to normal, which is great. Couldn't have done it without exercise!

Now to the real drama of the week. Todd's dad switched to a new hormone therapy for his cancer recently. It disagreed with him pretty badly, so they gave him some meds to treat those symptoms but then eventually took him off of the original treatment. Problem was, he started to get pretty out of it, really badly confused about things, and just wasn't himself, so we were all concerned.

Todd and I drove down to the beach where his dad is staying last night, thinking we would stick around and help him out, keep an eye on him for the weekend. But things were concerning enough that we turned around today and brought him back to the ER at Rex hospital in Raleigh, where he has been getting his cancer treatments. I am glad we did that, because they were able to rule out the most serious things like stroke, heart attack, dehydration, low oxygen saturation. But unfortunately, we still do not know the cause of his confusion.

So here it is Saturday night and I'm totally exhausted. I feel bad even saying that because I know that Todd and Roger must be ten times more tired than me. Family health drama can really take it out of you. But I tell you what: there is no place I would rather be when something like this is happening than with them. I hope that Roger is feeling better soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment