Sunday, May 8, 2011

Not great, not terrible - somewhere in between


It is hard to describe how the week has been without sounding complain-ey, which is about my least favorite thing in the world. I will try to be brief on that stuff. But let's start with the good news!

808 Soap had a really successful First Friday. Several of our friends came out, and we had a really good time hanging out with everyone at Father & Son. We are doing a fundraiser for the Cystic Dreams Fund (founded in memory of my good friend Paul Mooney) giving 20% of our sales this month.

We also had a Kentucky Derby/Poker Tournament party yesterday that was a lot of fun. My horse was ahead until the very end! Such a tease. Really, we know next to nothing about horse racing but it is fun to get into it one day a year. Todd ended up winning poker! And I came in 5th place out of 20 people.

Also, had some really nice bike rides this week, continuing to enjoy the spring weather. On Monday, we rode to J. Betski's, a Polish and German restaurant not far from our house, and enjoyed an array of kielbasa, bratworst, pierogies and a strudel for dessert. It was good. :)

In less exciting news, my leg has continued to give me problems. I have been limping around now for over two weeks. I don't even notice it anymore, which is kind of sad. I was too busy to make it the chiropractor this week, but I was beginning to think I wasn't going to solve the problem there, anyway. I think this is an issue with my sciatic nerve, and I have an appointment with my primary care doctor tomorrow to start getting to the bottom of this. Biking or doing my elliptical machine don't seem to bother it, but walking a lot will irritate it. Fortunately it's not painful most of the time, for which I am thankful.

Also, the cold that I've been messing around with recently dropped into my chest sort of suddenly and I ended up taking Tuesday off work just to sleep all day. I did feel better after that. By about Friday I began to realize things might actually be settling into my sinuses, and I called my ENT to get on the antibiotic rinse we talked about. He was in surgery all day, and then when something did get called in, there was a problem at the pharmacy, and then my insurance didn't want to pay for it (that is very unusual.) So it will be Tuesday at the soonest before I can get on that.

I have mentioned here before about my father's respiratory problems and his pursuit of a lung transplant. He is now almost through with the evaluation process, and then his case goes to a committee to decide if he is eligible or not. Things are looking pretty good at this point. It is exciting, and also scary.

What I haven't mentioned is that my mom is also having some health issues right now. She has been off work on disability for the past couple of months not able to walk around easily. After this and that it was determined that she will need a hip replacement surgery. I hate that she has to make a decision like this, but I also believe that it can help her not only to be in less pain but also to get around more easily - she needs especially to be able to go see her new grandson when he is born in September (yay!). I'm also hoping that it will help get her into a better routine with being more active and being able to enjoy (hopefully soon!) her retirement.

Todd's dad is also having to deal with some progression in his cancer. But I think they've figured out another type of hormone treatment that might help him - after that they would have to try chemo. In the meantime, he and Todd are planning a trip out to Montana in June for two weeks. We hope the new hormone treatment will help, and that he can enjoy another good stretch of health.

So yes, I have a lot going on both with myself and my parents right now. As for me, I'm not really sure where I'm at. I am certainly not out of the clear as far as needing IVs. I have an eye to next weekend's camping trip, and I really want to be able to go - of course, only if I am feeling well. Maybe treating my sinuses will calm down my lungs. My lungs aren't terrible so I have some wiggle room.

My plan for the week is to get on the antibiotic sinus rinse and continue to push myself to exercise as long as I have the energy. And just take it day by day.

No comments:

Post a Comment