Wednesday, October 23, 2013

L'hopital - Day 5 and home!



Day 5 was pretty uneventful. I had what I would consider to be a mostly side-effect free day. A little itching here and there but nothing bad. My creatinine was still doing very well.

By day 6, I saw no reason to stay in there. My creatinine was holding steady, my side-effects were under control. Dr Coakley agreed to send me home on it to continue a 10-day course. We had thought about doing only 7 days but since things were going well decided to try 10.

Trying to get Colistin from my home health company turned out to be a NIGHTMARE. I will spare you the details, but Dr C gave me the okay to leave at 11am. It wasn't until 4:00 that all the kinks were worked out (and during that time I had been told at one point it wasn't going to work out for me to be discharged that day...but I was determined!) It was almost 7 by the time I left.

As soon as I was out of my hospital room and moving about in the real world, it became apparent that my equilibrium still wasn't quite right. Also, I had been feeling pretty depressed the last two days. Because of all that, we decided to only do 7 days total after all, which means tomorrow will be my last day of Colistin. I will continue on Meropenem and Minocycline adding Cipro for an additional week.

I was so happy to be home. All three kitties slept in with me this morning! That is a real treat. But I sure wish I felt better. Today I feel a combination of "IV yuk" and "Colistin funkiess" that isn't very nice. Plus a little fuzzy in the head.

Here's to tomorrow being the last day on Colistin! And to the end of a successful phase I of this experiment. Regardless of the outcome, I now know that I can tolerate this drug, and thus we have one more tool in the ever emptying toolbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment