My Two Favorite Dorks

My Two Favorite Dorks

Sunday, August 28, 2011


Nate holding Simon

The big news around here is that my new nephew - Simon Delucia Smith - was born Monday morning, an entire month early! The good news is that his weight was fine and he was overall healthy; but they have kept him in the hospital this past week because of small issues that have cropped up. They are just being very precautious and hopefully he will be home soon!

Mom and I are trying to figure out when and the best way (fly or drive) to get up there and see him. Mom has continued to recover well from her hip replacement, but she still can't walk terribly long distances. So we will see. But we are both very anxious to get up there!

I had a really great visit up to the mountains for work this week. Four of us from our Durham office went up there and were shown around to some of our project sites in Hickory Nut Gorge (including Bat Cave - we felt the blow holes but couldn't actually go up to the entrance of the cave) and the Greater Roan Highlands (which was a trip up the marvelously beautiful Big Yellow Mountain.) We had great weather both days.

View from the top of Big Yellow

Those were the incredibly awesome extremely cool highlights from the week.

In less exciting news, my PT guy this week told me that he has done all he can do for me, and that it is time for me to see a back specialist (aka back surgeon) to get a full work-up, including an MRI. We were all (chiro, PT, GP, and I) hoping that it wouldn't come to this, that my issue would be able to be resolved with the combo of chiro, PT, and stretching/exercising I've been doing.

It's kind of funny to me because things would have never escalated to this point if it weren't for me getting a flare up a couple of weeks ago. (Pulled something in my back coughing.) I had been getting better, and I would have continued to get better and then go on my way; then at some point I would have gotten another flare up and had to start the whole process over again. So it is better that it happened now.

The years I've been dealing with this, the flare ups come and, ultimately, go. Last time I started PT, I went on vacation and had a course of IVs and by the end of that my leg was fine again. But this time is worse, I'm not sure why. And it has stumped the therapists. So stay tuned for the next chapter.

And as if I really needed something else to deal with, my skin has flared up with a strange rash. I'm not sure what caused it, but it is driving me sort of nuts. I am definitely thinking that if it isn't getting better soon I will need to see the doc or a derm doctor.

Lastly, here is a picture of me at UNC doing my first dose in a study for inhaled levofloxacin on Thursday. You all know how I am into documenting everything. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment