Thursday, December 19, 2013

The "D" Word




I went in to see Dr Coakley on Dec 13 after two weeks of progressively worse coughing, congestion and shortness of breath. My PFTs were the lowest they've ever been, even with my increased Prednisone. Can't say I was surprised. BUT, somehow I think the sadness/grieving/anger I'd been going through in the weeks previous helped prepare me for that appointment. Instead of being a wreck afterward, I was matter-of-fact, pensive and a little melancholy.

I am back on oxygen for anything more than just piddling around the house, and also at night. I am starting pulmonary rehab two days a week to strengthen and improve my breathing. I am taking an unofficial leave from work to get my health back under control. My port is acting up - ugh, one more thing.


Which brings me to the dreaded "D" word. During my pulmonary appt last week, my doctor mentioned contacting Duke for some preliminary questions about my case as a potential transplant patient. So - if I had never brought up transplant with my doctor, this may have been when he would have first  brought it up with me. He doesn't think I am ready for a work-up yet, but he wants to make sure all of our ducks are in a row with getting me over to Duke if/when needed. And we need to be ready because my numbers keep falling with no explanation other than disease progression.

In happy news, things seem to be going well so far on the IVs, which I am incredibly thankful for. And I have to say that for all the bumps in the road of late, I am not letting it ruin what is always a very special time of year for me with my birthday (20th) and then Christmas. We have our tree up and decorated. I am having a birthday bowling party tomorrow with 20 of my closest friends. And I still hope we can make it to the mountains at least for a few days next week - that is if my port, blood draws and IV delivery schedules will cooperate.

Happy Holidays Everyone!!



p.s. If you would like to make a difference in the life of someone with CF this holiday season, please consider donating to the Cystic Dreams Fund, which was founded in memory of my good friend Paul Mooney. CDF gives grants to people with CF dealing with financial hardship, which can be anything from medications, respiratory equipment, nutritional supplements, hospital bills and more. Thank you for considering!


No comments:

Post a Comment