Sunday, April 15, 2012

Back saga, part deux


For those of you who follow my blog, you may recall a post I wrote back in September outlining the journey of my herniated disc. (What's up with my back?) To summarize, my problems began a year ago and I have tried almost everything imaginable to treat it. While much of the past year things have been okay and the pain has been either manageable or, in some cases, completely gone, I find myself now in another fairly acute flare-up. I'm frustrated. I'm discouraged. I'm tired of being in pain. But I am not giving up!

This coming week I am going to try a couple of things:
  • I am going to see a new physical therapist, one who knows a lot about both herniated discs and how to exercise properly with them.
  • I am going to see a woman who does massage/body work/energy healing. My friend has been recommending this woman to me for years, and now finally seems the time to check her out. I'm a little skeptical but at this point I have nothing to lose.
  • I am also going to continue with my acupuncturist (yay!) and incorporate 30 minutes of massage before my treatment.
  • Getting another steroid shot in my back. The last one didn't help but they are usually done in sets of two or three so maybe something good will come of it.
Additionally, I started a new medication this week called Neurontin. It was first used to treat epilepsy but is also used to treat nerve pain. It does seem to be helping - I've been taking a lot less pain medication since starting on it - and I haven't had any side effects with it yet. So it is promising.



No comments:

Post a Comment